Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What do you say in a moment like this!!

   Really what do you Say! As the years pass us by and the memories of yesteryear come to mind some good and some just plain ugly. I'm going to let the ugly ones pass by today. A topic for another time.

   I was thinking back to when my health was good and thinking how nice it would be to be an adult. I was about eight when I got my first Wenzel real canvas tent. Thinking that I was going to be like Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn.  Yep! Exploring this vast land that I seen on TV in Black; Gray and White; although I knew the real world was full of many shades of brilliant colors. Most friends of mine had either nice big tents or screenrooms to sleep out in; plus they belonged to the Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts. I slept in my back yard in the two person mountain tent w/blankets and a homemade quilt. Some of the time a friend would come over and I would have Toll House cookies my mom and I made from scratch. We had our canteens that my brothers got from the Army Surplus.

  As I got older; it was Daniel Boone and Mingo who enterd the picture, I had the same tent; but some times we would sllep under the stars; of course many times we got drenched from heavy rains. Also at the age of 12 I was allowed to venture out into our six acres of land with  four acres of pines and hardwoods. About four of us would dig away a fire circle to get all the pine needles and leaves and grass out of the way. We also used field stone to make a rim around the circle and we would have a camp fire and roast marshmallows; eat them Toll House cookies i learned how to make and bake. Had our Kool-Aid to wash it down. We felt like real Explorers of the Wilds now. Ever now and then a deer; owl; racoon and yes; even a black bear once tried to take over our campsite! We made enough racket with old pots and pans and yelling that poor bear didin't know whether to sit or get! The only animals we didn't appreciate was the porcupine and especially Pee-Pee Le Pew! LOL!  Had to leave the area for about a week due to the perfumed air.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't have a tent to go camping with, but I sure did a lot of big game hunting with my Red Ryder BB gun.

    Great memories,

    Jim01

    ReplyDelete